Make the Best Product; Cause No Unnecessary Harm; and Use Business to Implement and Inspire Solutions to the Environmental Crisis.
Patagonia Leadership Competencies
A fundamental way to reinforce and sustain Patagonia’s success is for leaders to live the behaviors aligned with our mission. Every Patagonia leader is encouraged to consistently act upon, influence, and reinforce these leadership behaviors:
• Directing & Motivating Others
• Developing Direct Reports
• Quality in Actions and Decisions
• Cause No Unnecessary Harm
• Customer Service
• Strategic Agility
• Business Acumen
• Action Orientation
• Drive for Results
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Managing Vision and Purpose
The Director of European Operations objective, through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the mission, values and objectives of the Company, the Director, Operations will provide the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the Company has the proper operational and financial controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. S/he will collaborate with cross functional team members, whether in Europe or elsewhere around the globe, to develop corporate and operational strategies, and will be responsible for facilitating these efforts across Europe.
The Director of European Operations will assist the General Manager of Europe in developing and implementing strategies and processes to support the growth of the Patagonia business across Europe which achieve and surpass sales, profitability, business goals and objectives.
Essential Job Functions
• Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
• Collaborate with the cross functional teams to develop, implement, and manage plans for the build out of operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the growth objectives of the organization; Oversee the European ERP integration project, related change management and other key infrastructure system projects.
• Facilitate the entry in to new European markets and set up of regional offices; Supervise and project manage all aspects of infrastructure requirements for new branch set up and regional offices including, but not limited to: space selection, lease management, maintenance, IT requirements, administrative support, move planning and execution, staffing, payroll and benefits set-up, and other necessary requirements.
• In conjunction with cross functional teams, determine measures and reporting metrics necessary to monitor and manage business operations. Communicate findings and drive for greater efficiencies.
• Supervise on-going operations. This covers financial operations through the periodical consolidations and reporting process, cash management, credit control; logistic operations such as inbound and outbound transport, warehousing relationships; and supporting functions such as IT and Human Resources.
• Direct short-term and long-range planning and budget development to support strategic business goals. Prepare and monitor proposals, analysis, and budgets to support cost and payback of infrastructure plans and options.
• Manage and foster the Company’s relationships with outside services and experts along with key stakeholders in management team: banking, payroll, security, accounting expertise, logistics network, legal, HR and real estate related activity.
• Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
• Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilizing various transportation methods.
Minimum Job Requirements
• Bachelor's degree required - MBA preferred - or equivalent in knowledge, experience, and ability.
• Strong International understanding and applied experience.
• Must be able to speak fluently in English, Dutch, and French. Additionally, German, Italian, and Japanese a strong plus.
• Minimum 8 years of experience in a Senior Management role; Full understanding of P&L, retail/wholesale/web business models, ERP systems, logistics and cost drivers for achieving financial success.
• Proven experience in a Pan European operational role, preferably in a dynamic, multi-channel apparel industry; Ability to support diverse objectives, maximizing synergies.
• Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans.
• Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and written, with a wide variety of people.
• Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
• Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.