Patagonia Men's R1® Back-Zip Short-Sleeved Full Wetsuit
We stand behind everything we make, including our wetsuits. But wetsuits require care if they are going to perform and wear the way they were intended. Patagonia is not responsible for wetsuits that are abused or show normal wear and tear over time. Scratches and fading are inevitable, as are tears from the occasional close call with a fin. Download Patagonia Wetsuit Warranty Form
Made for warm water: 65-75° F/18-23° C.
Learn More Close
Off the top in overhead surf or kite sessions when the wind goes sideshore, the R1® Back-Zip Short-Sleeved Full Suit combines comfort and stretch for optimal performance in warmer waters. Made with high-quality, ultra-flexible neoprene and a lightweight, fast-drying recycled polyester lining; features include anatomical patterning, external sealing on all seams, flexible one-piece front panel, extended flap at neck with PU-molded closure for increased comfort, and back-zip for easy on/off. Ankle cuff edges are heat-pressed to reduce hydraulic lift and flushing, and flexible, PVC-free kneepads offer long-lasting durability. Critical seams and stress areas are secured with glue dots, 1cm bartacks and Melco® reinforcements.
- Made with high quality neoprene that meets our rigorous standards for strength, durability and warmth
- Recycled polyester thermal grid lining improves flexibility and dry time; one piece front panel with minimal seam design increases flexibility
- Internal back flap blocks wind; flap has a recycled polyester grid lining, separating zipper from skin for comfort; extended neck flap with PU-molded hook-and-loop closure allows for a stronger seal and more comfort
- Neoprene underarm panels have recycled polyester jersey fabric on both sides for better stretch while paddling; center-back zipper with crescent-shaped neoprene panel provides a better seal and easier zip-up; zipper gusset has drain holes
- Ankle cuff edges are heat-pressed to reduce hydraulic lift and flushing, and flexible, anatomically engineered PVC-free kneepads offer long-lasting durability
- 1cm bartacks, glue dots and Melco® reinforcements secure wear points and critical seam locations; seams are single-needle blindstitched to the outside with nylon-bonded thread, and triple glued for extra durability and strength; critical areas and crotch seams are internally taped
- 100% external seam sealing
- 2.5mm neoprene (torso/thighs) lined with recycled polyester thermal grid; 2mm (sleeves/legs) lined with lightweight recycled polyester (inside/outside)
- 918 g (32.4 oz)
- Made in Thailand.
Men's R1 Bz S/S Full is rated out of 5 by 5.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Daubers83 from Perfect for Stand-Up Paddleboarding Great lightweight wetsuit that works perfectly for winter/spring Stand-Up Paddleboarding in southern California. Short sleeves allow for greater range of motion/flexibility and lightweight is great for not overheating once you are out of the water and out in the sun for an extended period of time. Very comfortable...
Date published: 2013-07-23
Rated 4 out of 5 by Pietro from Great summer suit Use it for Southern California breaks in summer. It has great range, from really warm days (68-72) to some more unexpected cold up-wellings (55-60). While it fits great everywhere and the extra flap of neoprene over the zipper stops the zipper from flushing and makes it a warmer suit, the neck still isn't the greatest seal and you might get flushed duckdiving a more aggressive wave. Then again, I might have just gotten used to a front-zip.
Date published: 2013-06-16
Rated 2 out of 5 by CBro from First time wetsuit use... I just recieved and wore the Men's R1 Back Zip Short-Sleeved Full Suit. My initial impression is that the suit is comfotable and well made. I especially like the wool liner as it dries quickly. After a few surfs however I am not pleased with the neck seal. It feels loose and does not effectively seal out water. This is one flaw in an ovrall nice suit, but since it is the primary seal it cannot be overlooked. Simply stated the overlap and zipper do not close throughly enough to keep water out. If you "cinch" it down it causes a buckle in the material that bulges and further compromises the seal. I have been wearing surf suits for the better part of 25 years so I will claim to know of what I speak. I may give their suits another try in the future and/or look at the chest zip option.
Date published: 2013-04-29
Rated 3 out of 5 by SoulSUP from Amazing Fit and Finish! Amazing Fit and Finish! But it's slow to dry and I feel it holds a lot of water? This is important to the growing group of Stand Up Surfing folks that would pick a 2mm suit. It's very comfortable for paddling and compression style fit is awesome. Works great for Southern California cold days. Your sales team needs training for SUP customers because they are going to come looking for this suit.
Date published: 2012-12-21
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dylan from Very Clever Fantastic and clever suit for summer in temperate zones. It is warm enough for the chilly summer mornings with that warm back panel, but you wont melt in it when the sun is blazing. Perfect for the North East coast where I'm from. I just got back to Ireland where I live and I find it perfect for training/paddling regiment - and the water is 12 degrees colder! Very warm for how little rubber there is. I'm normally a MT but the M fit perfect in this case (as they don't do tall sizes in this suit). A great suit. Very little rash even after a 7 mile prone paddle training session in heavy chop.
Date published: 2012-09-09