The Materials Quality R&D Director will be responsible for leading a best in class, quality driven materials research and development team. By providing a pulse on industry direction in materials, s/he will be accountable for driving the overall materials vision from ideation through commercialization, performance testing, and manufacturing. The Materials Quality R&D Director will elevate the consumer experience by creating a strategy that maintains the Company’s commitment to technical product leadership, creating the best product, and doing no un-necessary harm.
The Materials Quality R&D Director will create opportunities for staff development, make hiring decisions, and drive performance management, recognition and rewards. S/he will develop a team structure that facilitates and maximizes individual and team performance. The Director will develop strong consumer-oriented points of view and lead the materials team in executing the vision in seasonal product launches and ongoing R&D projects. S/he will oversee execution of all material research and development and will maintain healthy cross-functional relationships and build strong relationships outside of the Materials Quality R&D team. Additionally, the Director of Materials Quality R&D must demonstrate curiosity and a passion for materials.
The position has direct responsibility for Patagonia’s Materials Quality R&D department and reports directly to the Sr. Director of Quality & Materials.
Essential Job Functions:
• Lead the team in partnership with key stakeholders to ensure strategies and appropriate metrics are in place for management of the raw material supply chain: research & development capability, quality, environmental impact, social responsibility, price, and delivery.
• Create a comprehensive and quality driven materials R&D process.
• Lead the team in execution of all Quality Management activities for materials, including the development and refinement of material standards, application of Quality Management philosophy, and strategy for the Company’s overall material quality process.
• Establish short and long term strategic direction for Materials Quality R&D. Set team and individual goals that align with key corporate initiatives.
• Evolve the Materials Quality R&D organization to work in new ways aligned to the team vision and corporate vision: technical product leadership, environmentally preferred materials, social and environmental responsibility, and empowerment model of quality management.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work under pressure, meet established timelines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Able to focus and complete duties in a lively, energetic department that can be noisy at times.
• Ability to travel, domestically and internationally, utilizing various methods of transportation.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• Minimum 10+ years of experience in quality management, material development, or product development with preference for material innovation and quality management experience.
• Bachelor's Degree in Textile Science, Apparel Engineering, or Apparel Design
• Expert knowledge in quality, manufacturing, and materials: textile science with expertise in technical fibers, materials, finishes, and performance testing.
• Experience implementing environmentally preferred materials, and manufacturing processes. Exceptional application of development skills including high level concept development; be 'creative technical’.
• Comprehensive grasp of the global material supply chain landscape. Experience communicating and collaborating with global partners.
• Proven leadership capabilities, with the ability to build, lead and manage high-performing teams and develop talent.
• Team player attitude; solid positive energy; alignment with core values of the Company’s business model.
• Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism and deliver results against tight and complex timelines.
• Excellent communication skills: written, verbal, and presentation.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Ventura, California Headquarters:
Associate Production Manager
Chemical Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
Color Advisor -Technical Wovens
Creative Director - Product
Director Global Marketing
Director of Chemical Engineering
Director of Global PR and Communications
Director of Industrial Engineering
Director of Materials Quality Research and Development
Finance System Business Analyst
Industrial Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
IT Systems Administrator – Network
Master Data Management Analyst
Materials Research and Development Manager
Product Quality Engineer
Production Manager - Technical Outerwear
Senior Software Developer
Supply Planning Analyst
Testing and Standards Engineer
Vice President, Advanced Research and Development