The Materials R&D Manager will partner with Design and Business Unit Directors to define, create, and deliver a core and seasonal material palette that delivers solutions for the consumer. By providing a pulse on industry direction in a specific materials category, s/he will be accountable for driving the overall materials vision from ideation through commercialization, performance testing, and manufacturing. The Materials R&D Manager will elevate the consumer experience by creating materials that push the limits of technology while maintaining the Company’s commitment to technical product leadership, creating the best product, and doing no un-necessary harm.
The Materials R&D Manager will create opportunities for staff development, make hiring decisions, and drive performance management, recognition and rewards. The Manager will maintain a team structure that facilitates and maximizes individual and team performance. S/he will maintain healthy cross-functional relationships and build relationships with key stakeholders outside of the Materials R&D team. Additionally, The Materials R&D Manager must demonstrate curiosity and a passion for materials.
The Material R&D Manager, will be responsible for the oversight of a specifically assigned Raw Materials category which may change from time to time. This position reports directly to the Director of Materials Quality R&D.
Essential Job Functions:
• Collaborate with Business Unit Directors, Designers, and Product Developers to develop fabric strategies that meet environmental, functional, design, quality, delivery, and price targets.
• Maintain a clear understanding of the end product and strive to identify the best raw material.
• Drive a comprehensive and quality driven materials R&D process.
• Partner with Advanced R&D team to align advanced materials work vision.
• Accountable for delivering a material palette that aligns with the team vision and corporate vision: technical product leadership, environmentally preferred materials, social and environmental responsibility, and empowerment model of quality management.
• Be the voice of materials, drive functional discussions and initiatives across departments, collaborating for results.
• Partner with Material Supply Chain Manager on mill selection and sourcing strategies.
• Lead and manage Material R&D team, setting goals that align with department and function goals. Manage workload planning project delegation within the team.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work under pressure, meet established timelines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Able to focus and complete duties in a lively, energetic department that can be noisy at times.
• Ability to travel, domestically and internationally, utilizing various methods of transportation.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• Minimum 7+ years of experience in material development, product development, or materials quality with strong grasp of material supply chain landscape.
• Bachelor's Degree in Textile Science, Apparel Engineering, Apparel Design, or related field.
• Broad understanding of Quality Management concepts and practices, based on work experience and/or undergraduate or graduate study.
• Comprehensive understanding of garment construction and textile sciences.
• Exceptional application of development skills including high level concept development; be 'creative technical'.
• Strong understanding and application of managerial concepts and techniques in areas such as project/change management, idea creation, employee development, coaching and cross-team effectiveness.
• Team player attitude; solid positive energy; alignment with core values of the Company’s business model.
• Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism and deliver results against tight and complex timelines both individually and through your team.
• Excellent communication skills: written, verbal, and presentation.
• Experience communicating and collaborating with global partners.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Ventura, California Headquarters:
Associate Production Manager
Chemical Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
Color Advisor -Technical Wovens
Creative Director - Product
Director Global Marketing
Director of Chemical Engineering
Director of Global PR and Communications
Director of Industrial Engineering
Director of Materials Quality Research and Development
Finance System Business Analyst
Industrial Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
IT Systems Administrator – Network
Master Data Management Analyst
Materials Research and Development Manager
Product Quality Engineer
Production Manager - Technical Outerwear
Senior Software Developer
Supply Planning Analyst
Testing and Standards Engineer
Vice President, Advanced Research and Development