The Advanced R&D Chemical Engineer is responsible for the extensive research, identification, acquisition, and development of novel and sustainable chemistry technologies for use in the Company’s advanced product lines. S/he must use academic and industry knowledge, supplier networks, publications, and research to develop applicable technologies that benefit the Company’s advanced product lines through enhanced performance, sustainability, intellectual property rights, licensing, and profitability. Finally the Advanced R&D Chemical Engineer must understand the competitive strategy and position of each product line in order to formulate advanced chemistry innovations.
Essential Job Functions:
• Working with the Advanced R&D team, and through collaboration and iterative product development, effectively create relevant, innovative chemical solutions for Advanced R&D and Company Designers.
• Maintain contact and collaborate with all the internal (Material R&D, Designers, Business Unit Directors, Product Developers, Quality, Production, CSR, Environmental Strategy) and external stakeholders (Technology Partners and Vendors).
• Use chemical knowledge to support product categories.
• Work to develop and commercialize a variety of new chemicals, formulations, and chemical products within product categories.
• Collaborate with Legal and write a draft of patents and trade secrets.
• Maintain contact with Company athletes to get feedback on field needs and product performance.
• Attend key trade shows and conferences to build a broad range of knowledge and network.
• Partner with internal stakeholders to ensure that all products are of the highest quality, functional, beautiful, appropriately fitted and are fabricated in an environmentally friendly manner.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
• Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
• Participation and understanding of the sports that the Company produces products for.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Textile Chemistry or Polymer Science. Masters preferred.
• 7+ years in chemical engineering or polymer science industry.
• Experience in outdoor and/or sports equipment development.
• Experience working with textiles, apparel, softgoods and hardgoods a plus.
• Extreme attention to detail required and a proven ability to establish and maintain schedules and deadlines.
• Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Word, Excel, Outlook and Web PDM.
• Strong collaborative tendencies and team development skills.
• Excellent customer service skills, in person, on the phone and in writing.
• Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
• Ability to gather appropriate input and make clear, well-reasoned decisions.
• Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
• Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Ventura, California Headquarters:
Art Director Surf
Chemical Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
Creative Director - Product
Creative Director Outdoor
Designer of Packs, Luggage and Accessories
Director of Chemical Engineering
Director of Industrial Engineering
Director, US Retail Stores
Graphic Production Artist
Human Resources Coordinator
Industrial Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
Inventory Accounting Manager
Manager of SEO and Pay-per-click Marketing
Master Data Management Analyst
Product Developer - Kid’s Apparel
Product Quality Engineer –Technical Line
Search Engine Optimization Specialist
Senior Staff Accountant
Senior Technical Designer
Testing and Standards Engineer
Vice President, Advanced Research and Development