Company Info: Jobs
Reports to: Director of Social and Environmental Sustainability
Date: April 2014
Location: Ventura, CA
To apply, email Email your résumé with cover letter and voluntary identification form to Ventura Jobs. Download the Voluntary Self Identification Questionnaire.
Please indicate the specific position you are applying for either in the email subject line, and/or in your cover letter; if sending in a general application, please indicate it as such. Try to keep the size of your email under 500K (including attachments).
The Manager of Product Sustainability Metrics is responsible for the successful companywide integration of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s (SAC) Higg Index. The position will also develop other sustainability metrics which measure product impacts.
This person will manage all Higg Index integration project work streams which include, but are not limited to: integration of the brand, product and facilities (supply chain) modules into the appropriate departments, internal training, task force lead, IT/database, company communication, and validation and external communication of scores. This person will also be working on the further development and implementation of the Higg Index product module.
The manager will work closely with the SER Director and designated department Higg Index leads.
Essential Job Functions:
• Manage and support all Higg Index project integration work streams to successful completion.
• Develop, convene and lead the cross-functional Higg Index task force. Integrate new systems and processes to assess and close product scoring gaps each fiscal year.
• Oversee, develop and ensure all new Index strategy, plans, systems, processes, and progress are pushed out companywide via regular trainings and updates.
• Identify, develop and integrate new sustainability metrics.
• Assist and ensure successful development of the Index portion of our supply chain database with our IT provider and our supply chain 4-fold metrics team.
• Partner with supply chain experts in the SER Department to co-develop validation audits of brand and facilities scores; hire third parties to validate scores.
• Represent the company at the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) meetings and participate in key planning and development groups. Influence the development of the Higg Index.
• Produce monthly written reports to key members of the Company on progress.
• Partner with marketing department to strategize and develop thoughtful PR, web, and other marketing around our Index journey. Ensure all stakeholders understand our strategy and plan for continuous improvement as well as our annual milestones/progress.
• Speak at conferences and interface and collaborate with other brands and stakeholders as needed to successfully implement this new program.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
• Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and, at times, noisy work environment.
• Must be able to travel a minimum of 10% of work time in a rolling 12 month period, internationally and domestically, utilizing various transportation methods.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in product, social or environmental sciences.
• Minimum 5 years environmental sustainability experience working for a brand or a combined 5 years of experience working on environmental sustainability projects.
• Familiarity with the Higg Index, all modules and participation in the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) or commensurate experience in developing sustainability indices.
• 3 or more years of complex project management experience coordinating multiple work streams.
• General understanding of apparel supply chain entities
• Familiarity with the social responsibility side of sustainability.
• Familiarity with apparel sustainability strategy, legislation, NGO’s and industry activities
• Strategic, business process oriented thinker.
• Excellent, demonstrated collaboration skills and ability to work well within a multicultural remote team; diplomatic and adept at conflict resolution.
• Excellent training and development experience and public speaking skills.
• Strong English verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
• Self-starter/learner, able to work independently.
• High degree of proficiency in MS Office applications including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, plus Internet applications.
• Familiarity with outdoor sports, Patagonia products, and our commitment to social and environmental responsibility.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Master’s degree in product, social or environmental sciences.
• 5 or more years of complex sustainability project management experience with an apparel brand
• Past experience working with or developing product LCA’s.
• Past experience in conducting factory social or environmental audits.
• Familiarity with outdoor industry suppliers.
• Supplier seminar training experience
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Ventura, California Headquarters:
Creative Director Outdoor
Director, US Retail Stores
eMedia Email Marketing Associate
Graphic Production Artist
Human Resources Manager, Retail
iSeries Developer, IP & CW Systems
Manager of Product Sustainability Metrics
Marketing Operations Coordinator
Material Developer – Trims
Material Developer – Waterproof/Breathable Materials
Production Manager - Lifestyle
Project Manager, Print Production
Regional Manager, Supplier Quality Management
Retail Process Optimization Manager
Retail Projects Manager
Senior Cognos Business Intelligence Developer
Senior Software Developer
Senior Staff Accountant
Sr. Cost Accountant
Sr. Manager of Ecommerce Marketing
Surf Marketing Coordinator