Company Info: Jobs
Reports to: Materials R&D Manager
Date: June 2014
Location: Ventura, CA
To apply, email your résumé with cover letter and voluntary identification form to Ventura Jobs. Download the Voluntary Self Identification Questionnaire.
Please indicate the specific position you are applying for either in the email subject line, and/or in your cover letter; if sending in a general application, please indicate it as such. Try to keep the size of your email under 500K (including attachments).
As a key member of the Materials Quality R&D team, the Material Developer is the Company’s expert in a specific material category. S/he is responsible for collaborating with a core group of supply chain partners to research, develop, approve and specify raw materials that meet Company and market needs, while adhering to the Company’s commitment to technical product leadership, creating the best product, and doing no un-necessary harm. Additionally, s/he understands the Company’s quality and performance requirements as they relate to developing raw materials. Collaborating with the Standards and Testing Engineer and key business stakeholders, s/he ensures material concepts align with a clear definition of the problem we are trying to solve for the consumer. This position is specific to trims development including elastics, heat transfers, metal and plastic hardware.
Essential Job Functions:
• Be accountable, along with your team, for delivering a material palette that aligns with the team vision and corporate vision: technical product leadership, environmentally preferred materials, social and environmental responsibility, and empowerment model of quality management.
• Research, develop, approve and specify seasonal materials, while adhering to the Design and Development calendar.
• Partner with Material Suppliers to achieve consistent material performance and quality in collaboration with the Testing and Standards Engineer for your material category.
• Prepare and present development trials to key stake holders and assure alliance with key product initiatives. Identify and address potential issues and challenges in manufacturing, and plan accordingly to deliver proven and tested materials.
• Create and revise appropriate documentation in common systems; ensure all appropriate documentation is maintained, including detailed material specs, leadtime, pricing, and critical process information.
• Keep abreast of market trends, new technology, and consumer preferences. Serve as a technical advisor for your assigned materials category.
• Evaluate supplier capabilities, capacities, and their ability to develop and deliver fabric which adheres to the Company’s quality, cost, environmental and social responsibility requirements.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work under pressure, meet established timelines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Able to focus and complete duties in a lively, energetic department that can be noisy at times.
• Ability to travel, domestically and internationally, utilizing various methods of transportation.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor's Degree in Textile Science, Apparel Engineering, Apparel Design, or related field.
• 5+ years of experience in material development, product development, or materials quality with strong grasp of material supply chain landscape.
• Understanding and knowledge of material quality concepts and practices, test methods, and standards development based on work experience and/or undergraduate or graduate study.
• Comprehensive understanding of garment construction and textile sciences.
• Proven application of material development skills including high level concept development; be 'creative technical'
• Team player attitude; solid positive energy; alignment with core values of the Company’s business model.
• Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism and deliver results against tight and complex timelines.
• High attention to detail and excellent organizational skills are required.
• Excellent communication skills: written, verbal, and presentation.
• Experience communicating and collaborating with global partners.
• Ability to travel occasionally, representing the Company in a professional and capable manner.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Ventura, California Headquarters:
Creative Director Outdoor
Director, US Retail Stores
eMedia Email Marketing Associate
Graphic Production Artist
Human Resources Manager, Retail
iSeries Developer, IP & CW Systems
Manager of Product Sustainability Metrics
Marketing Operations Coordinator
Material Developer – Trims
Material Developer – Waterproof/Breathable Materials
Production Manager - Lifestyle
Project Manager, Print Production
Regional Manager, Supplier Quality Management
Retail Process Optimization Manager
Retail Projects Manager
Senior Cognos Business Intelligence Developer
Senior Software Developer
Senior Staff Accountant
Sr. Cost Accountant
Sr. Manager of Ecommerce Marketing
Surf Marketing Coordinator