Rolando Garibotti's Ambassador Profile
Rock Climbing Ambassador
ResidesEl Chaltén, Patagonia; Dolomites, Italy
The mountains have been Rolo’s safe haven since he was a kid growing up in northern Patagonia. He’s been climbing in Patagonia just shy of three decades, and though his passion has shifted over the years, spending time in nature continues to be the one constant that makes him content. He’s a guide, co-author of a guidebook to the area, Patagonia Vertical; and creator of the online climbing guide pataclimb.com. These days he splits his time between the town of El Chaltén in Argentina and the Dolomites in Italy.
- Several speed records in El Capitan, Yosemite, early 1990s.
- First complete ascent of Cerro Fitz Roy’s north face, Patagonia, 1996.
- For 15 years, held the record on the Grand Teton Grand Traverse, Wyoming.
- First link-up of three of Canada’s best-known waterfalls: Polar Circus, Weeping Wall/Pillar and Slipstream, 15 hours, 2002.
- First ascent of Cerro Torre from the north, Patagonia, 2005.
- First ascent of the much-tried Torre Traverse, Patagonia, 2008.
- Co-author of 2013 Banff Festival award-winner Patagonia Vertical—Chaltén Massif, the first complete guidebook to Patagonia’s Cerro Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre range.