Director of FishFull time | Product Line Management
Job Title: Product Line Director, Fish
Reports to: Business Unit Director, Fish and Workwear
Location: Ventura, CA
The Product Line Director- Fish, working in the context of the overall Patagonia product line, develops product, marketing, and assortment and sales strategies for the Fish product line. With their understanding of the Patagonia Brand, the outdoor market, industry best fit/finish, fabric details and specific category knowledge, they build a product line plan that delivers innovative products to grow market share and gross margin dollars. The Product Line Director – Fish is also responsible for drafting annually an international business plan including sales/distribution strategy, marketing support, staffing needs and seasonal line plans to maximize growth of the category. The Director - Fishing is the central figure in knowledge of the fishing product line; he/she collaborates with all segments of the Company, especially the founder and CEO, to articulate, deliver and sell a successful product line.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for delivering product that helps achieve revenue, gross margin, inventory levels, and profit contribution.
- Establish market strategy and direction; develop and implement a business plan that includes sales strategies, staffing needs and seasonal line plans.
- Develop a line that resonates with the global market, and develop market specific product where appropriate.
- Plan product line and lead development to achieve product, market, business and organizational goals which also advance company-wide brand and environmental goals.
- In conjunction with the Design Group, lead product direction. Provide detailed product briefs to designers and developers, and maintain all necessary data in the product line management system
- In partnership with Design, develop products that stay true to the Company’s design principles.
- Work with Development Team to take inspiration from vector styles and build them into complete product assortments.
- Work with Material Development to identify opportunities in performance, logistics, or cost of raw materials
- Establish strong working relationship with the Company’s Production Department.
- Explore and develop environmental breakthroughs.
- Be willing to evaluate and propose strategies that include elements of risk.
- Keep the Company’s quality standards in all products.
- Gain insight into proper line development by exposure to consumer and/or sport end user in the fishing business.
- Articulate opportunities/concepts to the Company—flow information into design team, production, sales channels and buying groups.
- Take product into market during development to gauge response with key fishing dealers globally.
- Gather input from sales channels/buyers/market to help in line development.
- Create a seasonal line plan for categories and contribute to the overall business plan for Company.
- Forge bonds with international channels to facilitate information flow.
- Define market research needs to the Marketing Department for execution.
- Working with Sales Managers, craft distribution and dealer strategies that link to product direction.
- Identify distribution expansion opportunities and key dealers with U.S. Fishing Sales Manager and international leadership.
- Communicate with reps to identify sales opportunities and key product positions.
- Establish a concise, prioritized sales strategy for international markets, with defined metrics, and execute against this plan.
- Working with the Marketing Department, craft tools and implement marketing messages to create a line point of view.
- Communicate line stories and positioning to the Marketing Department.
- Participate in the planning and execution of global marketing materials including catalogs, advertisement, point of purchase and sales materials.
- Advise on necessary tradeshows, media, and other aspects of marketing the Fish category.
- Represent the category internally, and to the media and the public as an advocate and ambassador for Patagonia
- Set direction for product merchandising in the sales channels.
- Collaborate with buyers to ensure that the buy supports the product vision. The Product Line Director- Fish has a voice in orchestrating the buy so product development plans are properly represented to support new categories and products, color breadth and distribution representation.
- Generate revenue and initial margin plan for each season.
- Set strategies for growth of market share for the category.
- Develop and maintain team’s budget.
- Manage preliminary sales forecasting, allocation, and margin management.
- Ensure business results meet company requirements for P&L, cash flow, and inventory management, asset utilization.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel utilizing various transportation methods.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree required.
- Extensive experience in sport(s) and/or markets targeted by this line.
- Demonstrated understanding of key drivers of sales in specific distribution channels in complex markets.
- Significant experience developing/implementing marketing strategies having demonstrated success in driving sales and achieving targeted objectives.
- Sales or marketing experience in wholesale, retail or direct businesses.
- Demonstrated experience in managing product gross margin and operating expenses.
- Extreme attention to detail and the ability to establish and maintain schedules.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively- verbally, written and visually - with a wide variety of people.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customer, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.