Internship - Apparel Graphic DesignerFull time | Administrative Support
Job Title: Apparel Graphic Designer Intern
Reports to: Director of Art & Illustration
Location: Ventura, CA
The Apparel Graphic Design Intern will produce artwork specifically for tees, lifestyle apparel,
headwear, on-product branding & technical garment embellishments. They will also actively support the print production team by providing technical art spec documents and coordinating communications with factories to assure quality, color and testing standards.
This position requires a thorough understanding and familiarity with a broad palette of apparel art embellishment techniques and production quality art standards as well as current graphic art trends, specifically those relevant to outdoor and action sports and a proven ability to collaborate and interact with outside design resources.
Essential Job Functions/Projects
- Effectively produce graphic art designs and concepts, under supervision of the Art Director, within a specified seasonal theme or direction and communicate and present these designs in a concise and professional manner through a line review process.
- In conjunction with Production, Quality and under the supervision of the Art Director, investigate and set up new print techniques with approved vendors.
- Ensure that all products are engineered for the intended purpose, of the highest quality, are functional and beautiful, fit correct, and are fabricated in an environmental manner.
- Provide design information through detailed drawings, provide and maintain detailed art spec documents for factories and line management and complete check lists to Pattern Makers and Product Managers so that prototypes and BOM’s can be created in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends, color, fabrics, trims, features, engineering, technology, and other sports related products through travel, research, and product usage experience.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilizing various transportation methods.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- College Degree in progress preferably in Graphic Design and/or Illustration.
- Knowledge of apparel construction and design required.
- Knowledge and proficiency with the most current versions of Adobe CS, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Acrobat.
- Excellent communication skills, in person, on the phone and in writing.
- Ability to be flexible within the job to ensure the best processes/systems for smooth completion of all projects.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
- An interest in sustainable product creation practices and participation, understanding and working knowledge of the sports that the Company produces products for.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills a must, as is the ability to juggle many tasks at one time and change gears quickly.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and written, with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to work in an open-concept office/floor plan.
All applicants must have graduated in 2019 or be returning to school in the fall in 2019. This is a paid internship that will also include financial support for summer housing and temporary relocation to the area.
This job posting will remain active until January 1st, 2019.
All interns will be assigned a project to work on over the summer, and to present on at the completion of their internship.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.