Designer, OuterwearFull time | Lifestyle Design
Job Title: Designer- Outerwear
Reports To: Design Director/ Outerwear and Equipment
Location: Ventura, CA
The Designer- Outerwear combines active product use, experience, market knowledge and input from other Design Team members to create original and innovative designs. Through attending conferences and tradeshows, and by product testing, s/he must maintain constant exposure to the outdoor industry trends, design changes and innovations. Ultimately they must create designs that embrace the Company’s core design philosophy which is to create product that is of the highest quality, function, fit and with all fabrication done in the most environmentally friendly manner. The Designer will also share industry experiences with other co-workers through preliminary designs.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for the creation of relevant, innovative design concepts for each season for a specific category.
- Communicate and present concepts and design information in a concise and professional manner whether in a verbal, written or visual context.
- Play a lead role in ensuring the cross-pollination of design concepts and ideas with other designers and teams.
- In collaboration and cooperation with Business Unit Director, Product Line Managers, create seasonal line plans and strategic initiatives.
- Collaborate with the appropriate Product Line Manager, Product Developer, Pattern Maker and factory to engineer products that achieve design concepts while meeting target retail and margin goals.
- Work with the Textile Design Department in the creation of appropriate prints and yarn dyes as well as with the Color Department in identifying appropriate color direction and colors specific to the products of responsibility.
- Work with the Product Graphics Division in the creation of graphics that are appropriate for the products of responsibility.
- Champion designs through 2D design review. Thereafter, in partnership with Product Developers, develop fabrics, trims and manufacturing strategies for the products of responsibility.
- Provide product information through detailed drawings and thorough checklists to Pattern Makers and Product Developers so that prototypes and BOMs can be created in a timely manner.
- Partner with Product Developers in providing detailed and complete checklist information when working factory direct.
- Participate in Company sponsored design trips to various locations around the world to spark creativity and innovation in all design concepts.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilizing various transportation methods.
- Participation and understanding of the sports that the Company produces products for.
Minimum Job Requirements
- College Degree in Design required.
- 5+ years design experience in the outdoor industry or equivalent required.
- Keen understanding of line planning and product costing required.
- Thorough understanding of and proven experience in fabric development and sourcing required.
- Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Word, Excel, Outlook and WebPDM.
- Highly developed drawing skills required.
- Knowledge of garment construction, patterns and textiles required.
- Extreme attention to detail required.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain schedules.
- Excellent customer service skills, in person, on the phone and in writing.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.