Direct to Consumer MerchantFull time | Merchandising
Job Title: Direct to Consumer Merchant
Reports to: Merchandise Manager
Location: Ventura, CA
The DTC Merchant is responsible for developing, communicating and implementing the seasonal merchandise assortment strategy for select categories within our Direct channel. This person will be a key contributor during the Line Review process, and will drive sales and execute the product line’s vision within our digital and/or retail platforms. This person needs to have a keen sensibility when it comes to balancing new, brand-forward styles with important volume-driving styles. This person is responsible for translating our marketing initiatives into compelling collections and technical sport moments, reflecting the brand while creating an exceptional customer experience. Assortment planning, sales productivity analysis, design aesthetic, and analytical and organizational skills are all important for this role to be successful.
Essential Job Functions:
- Partner with the Product Team on seasonal merchandising decisions and investment strategies.
- Collaborate with Direct Planning Team to execute a seasonal buy that aligns with the merchandise assortment. Responsible for item level investment strategy, ensuring sales plans reflect a balance of trend, newness, and basics, and roll up to the channel’s topline financial targets.
- Successfully achieve a critical balance of ‘revenue’ styles and ‘brand’ styles through feature presentations and outbound marketing.
- Actively participate in the Line Review Process, including creating, maintaining, and providing seasonal marketing plan updates.
- Partner with the Merchandise Manager and Director of Merchandising to ensure all Patagonia brand stories told in our DTC channels align to the overall global product vision.
- Initiate and maintain communication of sales data, product trend, and inventory information within the channel to key cross-functional partners.
- Create a compelling online or in-store product experience, including inspirational merchandise presentations, simple and intuitive category navigations, and clear and accurate product education.
- Execute a merchandising experience that supports the channel’s financial and inventory plans, while meeting or exceeding customer expectations.
- Maintain flow of products and seasonal flips while analyzing the yearly offering holistically based on what makes sense seasonally for the customer.
- Partner with category and channel marketing teams to deliver a comprehensive outbound product communication plan.
- Know the pulse of the market and our competitors (both in and outside the industry).
- Identify business opportunities and risks in-season through analyzing sales performance and gathering marketplace information.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- BA or BS in a related field
- Minimum three years of experience in retail merchandising and/or buying
- Proven ability to understand the market, recognize product potential, and lead assortment planning from a merchant’s perspective
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment
- Capable of streamlining and improving processes, and troubleshooting
- Ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility
- Strong computer skills, in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to learn computer systems quickly and look at a computer screen for extended periods of time
- Proactive, strong attention to detail & accuracy, effective time management skills, strong written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and busy work environment
- Ability to travel domestically, utilizing various transportation methods
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.