Patagonia Men's R3® Yulex® / Nexkin® Front-Zip Full Suit
From seed to suit, the R3® Yulex®/Nexkin® Front-Zip features 60% plant-based natural rubber to help reduce the use of conventional neoprene. Made for cold water: 48-55º F/9-13º C.
- Revolutionary Yulex® rubber meets our rigorous standards for strength, durability, warmth and sustainability and is also hypoallergenic (latex-free)
- Nexkin® windproof rubber coating reduces evaporative cooling and is more durable than traditional smooth-skin neoprene
- Torso/thighs have a hydrophobic micro-grid recycled polyester (67%) thermal lining that minimizes weight, dries fast and offers excellent flex
- High-stretch 100% recycled polyester jersey lining (arms/legs) improves flexibility and dry time; exterior face fabric is durable and water-resistant with 88% recycled polyester content
- 100% external seam sealing; all seams are triple glued, blindstitched and internally taped at high-stress areas
- 60% Yulex® natural rubber/40% neoprene: 4.5mm (torso/thighs) lined with 67% recycled polyester/28% polyester/5% spandex microgrid; 2.5mm (arms/legs) lined with high-stretch 100% recycled polyester jersey; exterior face fabric: 88% recycled polyester/12% spandex. Outer torso (except shoulders) treated with Nexkin® windproof coating
- 1791 g (63.2 oz)
- Made in Thailand.
When we started making wetsuits, we quickly identified neoprene as a material that needed improvements to lessen its environment impact. So we met with the folks from Yulex who wanted to leverage the unique properties of the guayule plant, a hearty desert shrub native to the southwestern United States. Thus began a collaborative long-term project to develop a wetsuit material from guayule rubber.
Compared to traditional neoprene made from petroleum (or limestone), guayule rubber is a renewable resource that provides improved elasticity and softness and can be replaced faster than the product wears out. The agriculture is low-impact and the extraction and processing uses little energy and few chemicals.
Overall, from the crops to the rubber manufacturing, Yulex® guayule rubber has a lower environmental impact than the polychloroprene that it replaces.