Patagonia’s Tumpline helps to suspend all or part of a pack’s load from the top of the head, thereby alleviating pressure on one’s shoulders and hips. Requiring practice to perfect its use, tumplines have been in use in various forms for thousands of years.
Free Shipping on Orders Over $49
Orders are shipped within 1-2 business days and arrive within 3-10 business days. Need it sooner? Concerned about the environmental impact? Flexible shipping options are available.More Details
Returns & Exchanges
Unsure of your size? Can’t decide between jackets? Our customer service team is here to help—the less unnecessary shipping, the better. We have no time limit on returns and accept both current and past-season products.Visit Help Center
We Guarantee Everything We Make
If you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction, our Ironclad Guarantee allows you to return it for a replacement or refund at no charge. Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge.
Select Size and Color
- Perfect for avid hikers who take pleasure in being out of step with the technological age, Patagonia’s Tumpline is a simple strap, with ancient origins, that helps transfer the weight of a backpack from the shoulders to the head, neck, and down the center of the back. To use the tumpline, place the wide part of the strap across the top of the head and loop the narrower part around the pack and adjust it with the nylon buckle. It took Patagonia’s founder weeks to build up enough muscle strength to use the tumpline properly, so it requires patience. Hand-wash cold, no bleach, line dry, do not iron.
- Accommodates packs of all sizes
- Transfers weight of a backpack from shoulders to head, neck and back
- Made of easy-care nylon webbing
- Nylon buckle minimizes slippage and allows for smooth and easy tightening
- Headband lined with Capilene® 3 fabric that wicks and is quick to dry
- Strap: 3/4” 100% nylon webbing
- Headband: 2” 100% nylon webbing
- Headband lining: 5.4-oz Capilene® 3 100% polyester
- Buckle: 100% nylon