An adventure memoir and an environmental parable emerges from within this portrait of a mysterious but critical species living in a seemingly desolate but actually widely diverse and threatened ecosystem.
Free Shipping on Orders Over $49
Orders are shipped within 1-2 business days and arrive within 3-10 business days. Need it sooner? Concerned about the environmental impact? Flexible shipping options are available.More Details
Returns & Exchanges
Unsure of your size? Can’t decide between jackets? Our customer service team is here to help—the less unnecessary shipping, the better. We have no time limit on returns and accept both current and past-season products.Visit Help Center
We Guarantee Everything We Make
If you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction, our Ironclad Guarantee allows you to return it for a replacement or refund at no charge. Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge.
Select Size and Color
- Douglas H. Chadwick is a wildlife biologist who studied mountain goats and grizzlies in the Rockies, elephants in Africa, and whales in the world's oceans. Doug Chadwick began writing about natural history and conservation from national magazines, including National Geographic. He lives in Whitefish, MT.
- Joe Riis is a wildlife biologist turned National Geographic photographer and a Young Explorers grantee. He lives in Bijou Hills, SD.
- 288 pages, with full-color photographs throughout
- Hardcover book with jacket
- Published by Patagonia
Country of OriginMade in Canada.
- Printed on 100% post-consumer-waste recycled paper