An adventure memoir and an environmental parable emerges from within this portrait of a mysterious but critical species living in a seemingly desolate but actually widely diverse and threatened ecosystem.
We recently discovered that certain styles of the Capilene® Cool Daily and the Tropic Comfort product lines do not meet the 50+ UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) rating we claimed for them. They still offer solid UV protection—it’s just not as much as advertised. If you own one of these shirts, click below for more information.Learn More
Free Shipping on Orders Over $49
Orders are shipped within 1-2 business days and arrive within 3-10 business days. Need it sooner? Concerned about the environmental impact? Flexible shipping options are available.More Details
Updates from Our Stores
We're excited to say that we're now welcoming walk-in customers—no more appointments required! During busier times, we'll create a first-come, first-served waitlist to safeguard everyone's experience inside the store. Please expect some wait time. If you prefer, you can still shop by appointment or do curbside pickup. We appreciate your patience and look forward to seeing you again!Find a Store
Returns & Exchanges
Unsure of your size? Can’t decide between jackets? Our customer service team is here to help—the less unnecessary shipping, the better. We have no time limit on returns and accept both current and past-season products.Visit Help Center
Select Size and Color
- Douglas H. Chadwick is a wildlife biologist who studied mountain goats and grizzlies in the Rockies, elephants in Africa, and whales in the world's oceans. Doug Chadwick began writing about natural history and conservation from national magazines, including National Geographic. He lives in Whitefish, MT.
- Joe Riis is a wildlife biologist turned National Geographic photographer and a Young Explorers grantee. He lives in Bijou Hills, SD.
- 288 pages, with full-color photographs throughout
- Hardcover book with jacket
- Published by Patagonia
Country of OriginMade in Canada.
- Printed on 100% post-consumer-waste recycled paper