The Director of Chemical Engineering must develop a short, medium, and long term strategy for product and process chemistry that aligns with the overall vision of the Company, maintaining a commitment to technical product innovation. The Director of Chemical Engineering is responsible for the extensive research, identification, acquisition, and development of novel and sustainable chemistry technologies for use in the Company’s advanced product lines. S/he will lead a team of chemical engineers to identify future innovations and opportunities, working to incorporate these breakthroughs into the product innovation processes. S/he must use academic and industry knowledge, supplier networks, publications, and research to develop applicable technologies that benefit the Company’s advanced product lines through enhanced performance, sustainability, intellectual property rights, licensing, and profitability.
The Director of Chemical Engineering will create opportunities for staff development, make hiring decisions, and drive performance management, recognition and rewards. S/he will develop a team structure that facilitates and maximizes individual and team performance. The Director will develop strong consumer-oriented points of view and lead the chemical engineering team in executing the vision for advanced chemistry innovations.
This position has direct responsibility for the Company’s Advanced R&D Chemical Engineering team and reports directly to the VP of Advanced R&D.
Essential Job Functions:
• Identify, initiate, and communicate new strategies to assist the Company in identifying chemical innovation while balancing social and environmental commitments.
• Lead the Chemical Engineering team with a collaborative and inclusive approach to leverage best in class, innovative outcomes that benefit all product categories.
• Use chemical knowledge to support product categories.
• Work to develop and commercialize a variety of new chemicals, formulations, and chemical products within product categories.
• Lead Chemical Engineer team, and through collaboration and iterative product development, effectively create relevant, innovative chemical solutions for Advanced R&D and Company Designers.
• Maintain contact and collaborate with all the internal (Material R&D, Designers, Business Unit Directors, Product Developers, Quality, Production, CSR, Environmental Strategy) and external stakeholders (Technology Partners and Vendors).
• Collaborate with Legal and write a draft of patents and trade secrets.
• Maintain contact with Patagonia athletes to get feedback on field needs and product performance.
• Ensure that the work of Chemical Engineering team is in line with the Company’s mission and long term strategic plans.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
• Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
• Participation and understanding of the sports that the Company produces products for.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Textile Chemistry or Polymer Science. Masters preferred.
• 10+ years in chemical engineering or polymer science industry.
• Experience in outdoor and/or sports equipment development.
• Experience working with textiles, apparel, softgoods and hardgoods a plus.
• Extreme attention to detail required and a proven ability to establish and maintain schedules and deadlines.
• Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Word, Excel, Outlook and Web PDM.
• Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
• Ability to gather appropriate input and make clear, well-reasoned decisions.
• Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
• Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
• Proven leadership capabilities, with the ability to build, lead and manage high-performing teams and develop talent.
• Team player attitude; solid positive energy; alignment with core values of the Company’s business model.
• Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism and deliver results against tight and complex timelines.
• Excellent communication skills: written, verbal, and presentation.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Ventura, California Headquarters:
Art Director Surf
Chemical Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
Creative Director - Product
Creative Director Outdoor
Designer of Packs, Luggage and Accessories
Director of Chemical Engineering
Director of Industrial Engineering
Director, US Retail Stores
Graphic Production Artist
Human Resources Coordinator
Industrial Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
Inventory Accounting Manager
Manager of SEO and Pay-per-click Marketing
Master Data Management Analyst
Product Developer - Kid’s Apparel
Product Quality Engineer –Technical Line
Search Engine Optimization Specialist
Senior Staff Accountant
Senior Technical Designer
Testing and Standards Engineer
Vice President, Advanced Research and Development