Retail Sales Associate
No positions available.
To apply, email
Please apply directly at the retail store location listed above. For current availability, call or stop by the store location. Email your résumé with cover letter to the appropriate store location above.
Please indicate the specific position you are applying for either in the email subject line, and/or in your cover letter. If sending in a general application, please indicate it as such. Try to keep the size of your email under 500K (including attachments).
You may also stop by the store to complete an application or to drop off your résumé with cover letter.
The Sales Associate position is responsible for providing a complete shopping experience for our customers. The Sales Associate is responsible for the areas of customer service and sales, store merchandising and maintenance, environmental activism, store operations, and training.
Essential Job Functions:
Customer Service and Sales
- Greet all customers promptly and courteously as they enter the store.
- Utilize the tools and training provided by the Company to develop selling and service skills, resulting in long-term customer relationships and increased sales.
- Direct customers throughout the store or to the specific area the customer requests.
- Determine the specific needs of each person that enters the store and provide appropriate service.
- Give accurate and current information about the product for all inquiries; if the correct information is not at hand, do everything possible to provide an answer before the customer leaves the store.
- Increase the customer base by adding new customers to the mailing list.
- Maintain the feedback loop to designers and buyers by turning in customer comment cards; participate in information-gathering requests from the Company.
- Handle product returns in a way that demonstrates the spirit of our “Ironclad Guarantee.”
- Maintain a positive and cheerful attitude at all times.
- Understand the Patagonia Retail Philosophy and use this philosophy in all customer interaction.
- Apply the above standards to all phone inquiries.
Merchandising and Maintenance
- Check stock daily to ensure that all products are adequately stocked and available for customers; If stock is not currently available offer to put their name on the wish list and to call them when stock arrives.
- All folded merchandise must be neat and well folded; Sizes should be arranged in order from smallest to largest.
- All hanging merchandise should be steamed.
- Featured merchandise should be prominently displayed in each section.
- Help store merchandiser and/or store manager by suggesting alternative locations for products.
- Maintain store image by adhering to the dress guidelines as outlined in the Retail Employee's Handbook.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized back-stock area.
- Vacuum, sweep floors and empty all trash each day if required.
- Clean employee break area each day.
- Understand and follow the Patagonia environmental principles.
- Reduce; Reuse; Recycle.
- Participate in at least two events or campaigns each year.
- Assist in identifying appropriate tithing recipients; Align the stores with small grassroots groups that are focusing on direct action.
- Educate yourself on corporate environmental campaigns so that you can educate the customer on these issues.
- Get actively involved within the community on appropriate issues.
- Actively solicit input and action from customers on letter writing campaigns, petitions, voting, etc.
- Recycled all cans, bottles, cardboard plastic, paper and anything else possible.
- Report to work on time or notify in advance if absent or late.
- Operate the cash register; it should be each employee's goal to use the register without error and to be consistently accurate in money handling.
- Understand and utilize all reports including: item master, units location report, open order report, color and style masters, etc.
- Use correct procedures for processing mail orders, transfers, special orders and rentals.
- Know the procedures for processing paperwork between the store and Retail Services.
- Practice security measures that help prevent theft; understand the procedures for handling shoplifters.
- Practice safety consciousness at all times.
Mentoring, Training and Employee Development
- Participate in all required Patagonia Retail employee training.
- Participate in the training of fellow employees, including New Hire Training and ongoing product, service, and environmental training.
- Be proactive in your ongoing education regarding the company, weekly reports, products, and the outdoor retail business.
- Take advantage of additional training opportunities that are offered.
- Continually able to stand/walk for extended periods of time, necessary to provide sales floor coverage related to customer service and loss prevention.
- Continually able to reach overhead, bend, squat, kneel, and carry product, necessary for customer service, inventory re-stock, and store merchandising.
- Continually able to walk up and down staircase, carrying boxes, product, and other necessary store related items.
- Able to regularly perform store maintenance items: sweep, vacuum, empty trash, clean.
- Able to safely lift boxes up to 55 lbs.
- Comfortable in climbing ladders.
- Available to work store schedule – Sunday to Saturday
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Excellent customer service and sales skills.
- Previous retail or related customer service experience.
- Knowledge of Patagonia products.
- Accuracy with money handling and register use.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.