Majka Burhardt's Ambassador Profile
Rock Climbing Ambassador
ResidesNorth Conway, New Hampshire
From African rock climbs to New England mixed routes, Majka finds passion in the moment since she believes adventures morph into greater understanding. She climbs full time and is also the author of two books, a filmmaker, the founder of Legado and the mother of twins. Her first lead fall was onto the smallest Tri-Cam and she’s often more comfortable above a micro-nut than a bolt. She’s been known to rollerblade, climb grade 6 ice and put it all on the line in defense of her mountain poodle.
- First ascent of Southern Crossing (V 5.11+) on the Brandberg, Namibia
- First ascent of Learning the Hard Way (III 5.10+) Tigray, Ethiopia
- Award for the most checking penalties in her fifth-grade floor hockey league (the boys’ league)
- Ascent of The Bachelor Stroll (WI6), Frankenstein Cliff, New Hampshire
- First ascent of Majka and Kate’s Science Project, (IV, 5.10-), Mount Namuli, Mozambique
- Solo of Imja Tse, Nepal, at age 20
- Fourth woman to become certified by the American Mountain Guides Association, certified Rock Guide and former two-term member of the Board of Directors
- Author of Vertical Ethiopia: Climbing Toward Possibility in the Horn of Africa and Coffee Story: Ethiopia
- Director and producer of film Namuli
- Executive producer of the film Waypoint Namibia
- First rock and ice ascents in Ethiopia, Wyoming, Mozambique, Colorado, South Africa, New Hampshire, Namibia and Washington.
- Founder and executive director of Legado, a nonprofit that exists to protect the world’s most threatened mountain ecosystems and empower the people who call them home.
- Mother of twins, since 2016