Designer, Men's Performance SportswearFull time | Lifestyle Design
Job Title: Designer- Men’s Sportswear
Reports to: Director of Sportswear
Location: Ventura, CA
The Designer - Men’s Sportswear combines active product use, experience, market knowledge and input from other Design Team members to create original and innovative designs. Through attending conferences and tradeshows, and by product testing, s/he must maintain constant exposure to the outdoor industry trends, design changes and innovations. Ultimately they must create designs that embrace the Company’s core design philosophy which is to create product that is of the highest quality, function, fit and with all fabrication done in the most environmentally friendly manner. While they will contribute to the overall development of the Company’s design concepts for a given season, they will also have specific ownership of particular product lines, which may vary from time to time. The Designer- Sportswear will also share industry experiences with other co-workers through preliminary designs, mentoring and professional skill building.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for the creation of relevant, innovative design concepts for each season for a specific category.
- Play a lead role in ensuring the cross-pollination of design concepts and ideas with other designers and teams.
- In collaboration and cooperation with Business Unit Director, Product Line Managers, create seasonal line plans and strategic initiatives.
- Collaborate with the appropriate Product Line Manager, Product Developer, Pattern Maker and factory to engineer products that achieve design concepts while meeting target retail and margin goals.
- Communicate and present concepts and design information in a concise and professional manner whether in a verbal, written or visual context.
- Assume a leadership role while working with the Textile Design Department in the creation of appropriate prints and yarn dyes as well as with the Color Department in identifying appropriate color direction and colors specific to the products of responsibility.
- Assume a leadership role while working with the Product Graphics Division in the creation of graphics that are appropriate for the products of responsibility.
- Assume a leadership role in championing designs through 2D design review. Thereafter, in partnership with Product Developers, develop fabrics, trims and manufacturing strategies for the products of responsibility.
- Provide product information through detailed drawings and thorough checklists to Pattern Makers and Product Developers so that prototypes and BOMs can be created in a timely manner.
- Partner with Product Developers in providing detailed and complete checklist information when working factory direct.
- Participate in Company sponsored design trips to various locations around the world to spark creativity and innovation in all design concepts.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilizing various transportation methods.
- Participation and understanding of the sports that the Company produces products for.
Minimum Job Requirements
- College Degree in Design required.
- 5-7+ years design experience in the outdoor industry or equivalent required.
- Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Word, Excel, Outlook and WebPDM.
- Highly developed drawing skills required.
- Knowledge of garment construction, patterns and textiles required.
- Extreme attention to detail required.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain schedules.
- Excellent customer service skills, in person, on the phone and in writing.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.