The World Trout Initiative funds only groups and efforts working to restore and protect wild, self-sustainable trout, salmon, and other fish species within their native range. This includes both indigenous fresh and salt water fish. We believe that the best way to accomplish this over the long-term is by ensuring that populations have high quality habitat and adequate stream flows, can migrate between habitats without human intervention, are not negatively impacted by hatchery and aquaculture operations, have protection from harmful non-native species and disease, and are not over-harvested.
We look for innovative groups that produce measurable results and work on long term solutions to root causes of the problem. Your efforts should be quantifiable, with specific goals, objectives, and action plans, and should include measures for evaluating success. Because we are a privately held company, we have the freedom to fund groups off the beaten path that base solutions on sound science. Most grants are in the range of $3,000 to $15,000.
We fund work that:
- restores native river, coastal, and salt water habitats
- ensures dedicated in-stream flows that mimic natural stream flows
- provides unassisted fish passage (without human intervention) to and from historically accessible habitat; we give priority to long term, low maintenance, and natural channel solutions
- fosters sustainable harvest techniques and eliminates irresponsible aquaculture, and pollution
- supports educational and scientific efforts in alignment with the mission of the World Trout Initiative
We do not fund:
- supports organizations without 501©(3) status or a comparable fiscal sponsor
- creates or supports projects with artificial rearing, hatchery, or aquaculture operations
- promotes or studies human assisted fish passage projects (ie. trap and haul, fish elevators, barging)
- endorses artificial or non-native habitat enhancement or augmentation projects
- introduces or enhances fish populations not native to a particular body of water
To find out if your work fits within our guidelines, take the eligibility quiz. If you qualify, you may proceed to the grant application form. Thank you for your interest in the World Trout Initiative