The Advanced R&D Industrial Engineer is responsible for the identification, acquisition, development, and implementation of new and novel technologies for use in the Company’s advanced product lines. The products lines include all soft and hard goods made by metal, plastic, composite and fabric. S/he will use academic and industry knowledge, hands on construction experience, supplier networks, publications, and on-going research to develop applicable technologies that could benefit the Company’s product lines through enhanced performance, sustainability, intellectual property rights, and licensing.
Essential Job Functions:
• Work collaboratively with the Advanced R&D team to create relevant and innovative solutions for Product Design challenges and contribute to long term company goals.
• Work with the tools and processes used to fabricate the Company’s products [sewing, adhesive lamination, RF Welding and Seam Taping] to build working prototypes.
• Maintain contact and collaborate with internal (Designers, Business Unit Directors, Product Developers, Quality, Material R&D, the Testing Lab, Production, CSR, Environmental Strategy) and external stakeholders (Technology Partners and Vendors).
• Work with the Design and Product Team members to ensure feasibility of designs which meet price points, merchandising needs and product creation timelines.
• Provide product information through detailed drawings and complete check lists to Pattern Makers and Product Managers so that prototypes and BOM’s can be created in an accurate and timely manner.
• Maintain knowledge of current trends, color, fabrics, trims, technology, and other sports related products through travel, research, and product usage experience.
• Maintain contact with Company athletes to get feedback on field needs and product performance.
• Attend key trade shows and conferences to build a broad range of knowledge and network.
• Collaborate with Legal to write drafts of patents and trade secrets.
• Partner with internal stakeholders to ensure that all products are of the highest quality, functional, beautiful, appropriately fitted and are fabricated in an environmentally friendly manner.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
• An innate ability to see color discrepancies.
• Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
• Participation and understanding of the sports that the Company produces products for.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree of Industrial Design or Mechanical Engineering. Masters preferred.
• 7+ years of experience in outdoor and/or sports equipment development.
• Extensive familiarity with product performance requirements and an innate ability to create solutions leading to new performance paradigms.
• Experience using the tools and processes used to fabricate Patagonia products: sewing, adhesive lamination, RF Welding and Seam Taping.
• Knowledge of garment construction, patterns and textiles required.
• Understanding of factory processes and procedures.
• Extreme attention to detail required and a proven ability to establish and maintain schedules and deadlines.
• Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Word, Excel, Outlook and Web PDM.
• Strong collaborative tendencies and team development skills.
• Excellent customer service skills, in person, on the phone and in writing.
• Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
• Ability to gather appropriate input and make clear, well-reasoned decisions.
• Comfortable with a team-based work structure; and flexible to changes within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
• Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
• Comfortable communicating to the greater company when necessary for marketing and education purposes.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Ventura, California Headquarters:
Agile Project Manager
Art Director Surf
Asia Pacific Marketing Manager
Chemical Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
Cognos Systems Administrator
Creative Director Outdoor
Designer of Packs, Luggage and Accessories
Digital Marketing Director
Director of Chemical Engineering
Director of Industrial Engineering
Director, US Retail Stores
Graphic Production Artist
Human Resources Coordinator
Human Resources Manager, Retail
Industrial Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
IT Systems Administrator – Enterprise Systems
IT Systems Analyst – Site Support
Manager of Product Sustainability Metrics
Materials R and D Manager
Product Development Manager
Product Quality Engineer –Technical Line
Senior Cognos Business Intelligence Developer
Senior Staff Accountant
Senior Technical Designer
Sr. Manager of Ecommerce Marketing
Surf Marketing Coordinator
Testing and Standards Engineer
Vice President, Advanced Research and Development