Internship - Materials R&DFull time | Administrative Support
Job Title: Materials R&D Intern
Reports to: Director of Materials Innovation & Development
Location: Ventura, CA
The Materials R&D Intern will gain exposure to the development of testing standards, overall material development and materials advanced R&D for the Company. This role will assist in the accurate analysis of test results, as well as the development and approval of raw materials. Additionally, this person will gain an understanding of the Company’s quality and performance requirements as they relate to developing raw materials. Collaborating with key business stakeholders, they will learn how we ensure material concepts align with a clear definition of the problem we are trying to solve for the consumer.
Essential Job Functions
- Support the Company’s product test standards and requirements that are based on consumer end use and best-in-class functional performance and durability.
- Provide testing support during R&D phases and provide input on developments based on results obtained through testing and prior experience.
- Analyze finished material performance in comparison to competitive products as required.
- Support production testing and approvals. Communicate results & recommendations to the appropriate teams.
- Support the input of test data into database and maintain proper entry protocol and database use.
- Gain an understanding of the evaluation of supplier capabilities, capacities, and their ability to develop and deliver fabric which adheres to the Company’s quality, cost, environmental and social responsibility requirements.
- Support the research, development, approval and specification of seasonal materials
- Support the Material Developers in their relationship with Material Suppliers to achieve consistent material performance.
- Ability to sit/stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Comfortable working in a laboratory environment.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- College degree in progress, preferably in Textiles.
- Previous textile internship experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of lab equipment and procedures.
- Basic understanding of Quality Management and Statistical Quality Control concepts and practices, based on work experience or study.
- Working knowledge of personal computers with experience in the use of such programs as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
All applicants must have graduated in 2019 or be returning to school in the fall in 2019. This is a paid internship that will also include financial support for summer housing and temporary relocation to the area.
This job posting will remain active until January 1st, 2019.
All interns will be assigned a project to work on over the summer, and to present on at the completion of their internship.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.